Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cowboy Roy

Cowboy Roy is lost.

We haven’t seen him since August. The kids have searched the house. Under couches. Under beds. Under coffee tables. Or so they say. I’ve grilled Caleb especially, since it was his book. Wide-eyed and innocent he declared that it wasn’t anywhere. Uh-huh.

I even asked the library to do a search for it in the off-chance it was unknowingly stuck in a stack of books I had returned. No such luck. I knew better.

I finally had to admit defeat. So, I handed over $6.99 to the librarian at the Daviess County Public Library last week and paid up. Three ninety-nine for the book itself, and $3 for “handling.” I’m sure Roy will show up tomorrow now that I’ve purchased him.

Once I got home, I gave Caleb the news. “You owe me $6.99 for losing Cowboy Roy,” I told him. “I had to pay the library today. It‘s coming out of your piggy bank.”

He abruptly stopped what he was doing, his eyes widening in disbelief. He threw up his hands in outrage. “I don’t have that kind of money!” he declared. Um, I’m pretty sure he does. But he really has no concept of money. Please refer to The Tooth Fairy post for further evidence.

So, if your child has been on the waiting list at the DCPL for Cowboy Roy, I’m sorry. Caleb said it was a pretty good book. If you are desperate, Amazon has it for $3.99 with an updated cover. Or you can come search my house. It’s here somewhere. Call first.

1 comment:

  1. That is hilarious and something that many mothers will definitely relate to. Thanks for sharing it in a way that puts a smile on your face even if you silently want to throw up your hands in desperation. Merry Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete